Previously, we studied “wisdom, knowledge and understanding” as formulas to success in life; a man with knowledge will be limited, no matter how gifted you are, you remain limited if you are not informed and lack comprehension!
Today, we will be looking at the concept of MENTORSHIP, and how success is tied to it. Every child of God who plans to succeed in life needs a mentor.
A mentor is a wise and trusted counselor or teacher; an influential senior sponsor or supporter – someone you are not intimidated by his success; a coach; and instructor, tutor and trainer. Mentors are heroes – men and women of distinguished courage and ability known for their great deeds and qualities.
Most successful people today have someone who speaks into their lives; they have role models – standard people that serve as examples and guide in what they do, people they imitate and can compare their methods with.
I Cor. 4: 14-17 – “I write not these things to shame you, but to admonish you as my beloved children. For though ye have TEN THOUSAND TUTORS in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers; for in Christ Jesus I begat you through the gospel. I beseech you therefore, be ye imitators of me. For this cause have I sent unto you Timothy, who is my beloved and faithful child in the Lord, who shall put you in remembrance of my ways which are in Christ, even as I teach everywhere in every church.”
It is allowed to have multiple tutors and mentors, just as it is allowed to have a spiritual father, the one God has placed you under to spiritually guide you, after your biological father, and then your heavenly Father above all. After your fathers, your mentors exist to speak into your life.
HOW MENTORS SPEAK INTO YOUR LIFE
- WHEN YOU ARE WITH THEM; hanging around the people that serve as your role model help them influence your ways and actions! You can learn this way directly or indirectly – by observation and/or instruction.
- WHEN YOU READ THEIR BOOKS; reading books of mentors we cannot meet physically help us learn of the secrets of their greatness! This is why we cannot afford NOT to be readers!
- WHEN YOU LISTEN TO THEIR MESSAGES; lives are shaped by the things we listen to. Listening to messages of the people we look up to help us to learn the things that are necessary, and the information lingers in our minds.
We must never make the mistake of thinking that what we know is enough to carry us through life! Somebody has gone through what you are going through, and has sailed through successfully – that is the role of mentor – showing you how to get out of that situation quicker and easier than he did!
A mentor is needed each for all areas/segments of our lives; and God is too wise to put everything we need in one person – if one person is good for all areas of your life, that person will become a “god” to you! That is why some people are good in handling finances, some are good in coaching for career and business, some are good in mentoring on family issues etc.
This being said, it is important to acknowledge that our lives are divided into segments; and we are going to be looking at seven segments or blocks of our lives.
THE SEVEN BLOCKS OF YOUR LIFE
- YOUR WALK WITH GOD: You need a role model guiding and showing you how to spiritually walk aright with God; someone in a good position and standing with God.
- YOUR MARITAL LIFE: You need a role model in a person that loves and respects his/her spouse; someone or a couple whose marriage is God-driven. Even as a single person, you need to have a model marriage that you look forward to having the same kind – a trouble-free marriage that will also become a model to others in the future.
- RAISING YOUR CHILDREN: We must be humble enough to learn from people who have gone ahead of us. We must seek role models in people who are godly and outstanding parents, raising God-fearing children who are excelling in every area of their lives.
- YOUR CAREER/BUSINESS LIFE: For the thing(s) you do for a living, you need to keep learning to stay ahead of yourself and others; this is where the role of mentors in the same line of business comes in – either by practicing what they’ve done, or by being a direct mentee under them – training and working under them.
- YOUR HEALTH LIFE: This includes every aspect of your health – your eating habits, exercising, rest etc. There is no point to success if you cannot physically enjoy the good of the success. You need role models to guide you to live a healthy life, for your own good!
- YOUR FINANCES: Financial experts to guide you in savings and investments are highly important – you need to take care of your future, and learn not to be a squanderer!
- YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH OTHERS: A role model is needed to guide in how to treat others right, the way you want to be treated. Life is all about relationships! God gave each and everybody time (to trade for what you need in life), talents/gifts (to use your time to profit you), and PEOPLE. What you do with the people God put in your life determines where you arrive in life. What is wrong with the world today is that we do not treat each other right!
Let me leave you with these scriptures on mentorship and being imitators, observers, students, followers and companions of leaders, teachers, instructors and wise men that God has put us under.
Joshua 1: 7 – “Only be strong and very courageous, to observe to do according to all the law, which Moses my servant commanded thee: turn not from it to the right hand or to the left, that thou mayest have good success whithersoever thou goest.”
Deut. 31: 7 – 8 – “And Moses called unto Joshua, and said unto him in the sight of all Israel, Be strong and of good courage: for thou shalt go with this people into the land which Jehovah hath sworn unto their fathers to give them; and thou shalt cause them to inherit it. And Jehovah, he it is that doth go before thee; he will be with thee, he will not fail thee, neither forsake thee: fear not, neither be dismayed.”
I Thess. 2: 11, 12 – “as ye know how we dealt with each one of you, as a father with his own children, exhorting you, and encouraging you , and testifying, to the end that ye should walk worthily of God, who calleth you into his own kingdom and glory.”
I Cor. 11: 1 – “Be ye imitators of me, even as I also am of Christ.”
Eph. 5: 1 – “Be ye therefore imitators of God, as beloved children.”
Prov. 13: 20 – “Walk with wise men, and thou shalt be wise; But the companion of fools shall smart for it.”
I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO SAY TO the people who, one way or the other, has found themselves in positions of mentors, leaders and captains – you must be HUMBLE always and be willing to not only set good examples, but also learn everywhere you find yourselves; the lives of the people that are looking up to you depend on it!
Say this prayer right now, Lord show me people who are strong where I am weak; people who can help me be better in how to treat others, my family, my health and finances/business; fix every area of my life, Lord; bless me in everything like You did Abraham, affect my life positively in every aspect! Show me how to go about my life, in the name of Jesus. Amen!